Welcome

Welcome to Rialto. This is a blog where I hope you will find something of interest to you. I work in Further Education and my hope is to supplement my work in the classroom with extras and advice. I also like to dabble in creative writing and you will find bits and pieces along the way. Feel free to subscribe or pass by again and you may find something of interest.
John.

Thursday, December 14, 2017

The Teenage Years

"I would there were no age between ten and three-and-twenty, or that youth would sleep out the rest; for there is nothing in the between but getting wenches with child, wronging the ancientry, stealing, fighting. 
(William Shakespeare, A Winter's Tale) 

Shakespeare had it right. He wrote these lines five hundred years ago when, essentially he said that teenagers and those around them might be better off if they could sleep out their adolescence, because all they do is steal, scrap and sleep with prostitutes. Teenagers give, gave and will always give their guardians grief. They created a fuss when they came into the world at birth and by God on their way from the  bosom of childhood to the vicissitudes of adulthood their pain and anguish is just as profound. More so. My own adolescence was the equivalent of a motorway pile up. Drinking to excess, anxiety and depression, phobias and more drinking to quash my demons. Drugs were not an option because they were not available. Dreadful fits of impetuosity got me into awful trouble at school and but for the compassion of some decent skins, that same impulsiveness could easily have landed me in prison or worse still an early grave.
As a wise friend counselled me: "You had someone's prayers."
That, and a lot of luck.
So, I lived to tell the tale and I was always curious at the profound change in behaviour that accompanies the onset of the late twenties contrasted with the delinquency of juveniles. And along comes Professor Sarah Jayne Blakemore who as a neuroscientist has concentrated her studies on the labyrinths of the teenage brain. No longer, according to Professor Blakemore, is the young brain a finished product at an early age, but rather a  highly plastic organ with a propensity for great change and development as the human reaches thirty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment